Wednesday, July 27, 2011

70yr old hope chest, toybox now shoe storage and bench

My grandfather thought this was made by my great grandfather along with a cradle, crib and armiore for my aunt 70 yrs ago. I had wanted the armiore also the only other piece that was still around but one of my uncles shot it away before I could get it. There are no markings or stamps on this so I am pretty sure he was right.

This was my aunts (my fathers only sister) hope chest the top is long gone. I never remember the top being on it. There are holes in the back where a top once was. This was also a place were it held all my aunts old shoes and purses and jewelry when me and my cousins were younger, the armiore held all her dresses that we used to play dress up with. Makayla still has some of the stuff she is saving it all her life she says.

Later it became a toy box for my kids toys that were at my grandparents house. Just about 9 years ago after my grandma passed my grandfather told me to bring it home he had something else to put the kids toys in there.

When it came to my house it held Kenny's massive collection of GI Joes until a couple of years ago when he gave them up except for a couple to his little cousin. Then it was in the girls closet holding shoes, purses, bags, and what ever.

Now it has become something else
Here it is the box I don't want to get rid of but tired of it doing hiding things on these girls
The area where shoes are kept at the bottom of the stairs someone is going to kill themselves coming down the stairs. Most likely me in the wee hours of the morning Funny thing is it looks much better than it normally does

This little table thing has been here since we moved in and I hate it. When this picture was taken it wasn't cluttered like it normally is only a couple of things that shouldn't be on it is. This is where everything gets put that is supposed to go upstairs

I spraypainted the chest black took the legs off it, I tried to save them to put on the top but I broke them all so that didn't work. I put casters on the bottom made a cushion to stick on top and made and added pillows and now I love it because shoes are in the bottom. Kenny especially loves this because he has a place to sit to put his shoes on.









1 comments:

happeningswithLana said...

Love the bench--great ideal. I have a wooden item in my laundry room theat was suppose to be for putting shoes on etc. but people put their junk on it!